Making the decision on rather to breastfeed your baby or go with formula, is a hard choice. Of course you want what is best for your baby, but there are many things that you have to consider when debating rather or not to breastfeed. First of all, there has to be a comfort level, as there will come a time when you have to breastfeed in public. If this is something that makes you feel completely uncomfortable, then you may want to consider going with formula.
On the same note, many mothers carry a guilt when they pull out a bottle of formula to feed their baby. They feel that people will judge them because they did not take a step towards offering their baby a more natural way of feeding. Everyone has an opinion, unfortunately. Some will criticize a mother for breastfeeding in public, while other’s will feel you made a poor choice when seeing your baby drinking from a bottle. You have to throw these opinions out the window. This decision has to be based on what suits you and your baby’s needs, not on what everyone else thinks.
Breast milk is natural, therefore it is the best choice according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. There are nutritions in breast milk that cannot be found in any other form of milk. It is suggested that the first few weeks of breastfeeding are the most important because a mother’s milk supplies the baby with a variety of nutrients that will build their foundation to a healthy life. It is suggested that a mother breastfeed for at least the first year.
The benefits of breast milk include:
- There are special natural antibodies in breast milk, which boost the baby’s immune system and helps them fight off common sicknesses.
- Babies have an easier time digesting breast milk, and these babies have a decrease chance of constipation and gas.
- Breastfed babies are at less of a risk for sudden infant death syndrome for the babies first year.
- Some studies suggest that breast milk increases a child’s IQ, and they possess increase levels of cognitive skills.
Feeding your baby formula is a healthy alternative to breast milk. Choosing to feed your baby formula has many benefits as well.
These benefits include:
- Formula is a more convenient feeding method, as you never have to worry about where you are at, or who is around when your baby gets hungrey.
- Formula provides more flexibility, as breastfed mothers will have a pumping schedule to attend to. Many mothers will have to pump their breast milk at work. Formula can be stored easily, and accessed anytime.
- Nighttime feeding will not be an issue when it comes to allowing your significant other to help you during the night. Therefore, all night time feedings will not depend on you.
- It is easier to get a formula fed baby on a regular feeding schedule because formula fed babies will not eat as often.
- Mothers will not have to watch what they eat, and worry about passing something to their baby through their breast milk.
Remember, this choice is up to you and your baby. You cannot allow anyone else to make this decision for you. Just know the facts and choose what will fit into your lifestyle.